POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Leaves : Re: Leaves Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Leaves
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 6 Nov 2008 15:20:00
Message: <web.4913515bb807850b35f945a30@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> "Edouard Poor" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> > I took a quick play with some leaves the other day - they _are_ tricky, aren't
> > they?
>
> Yes, very tricky when trying to make them look real. I was playing with leaves
> again the other day myself.
>
> Here's a leaf I made from two differenced cylinders (for a bit of curvature). It
> has both front and rear textures and a simple scattering media interior.
>
> I stacked two of them into a union, then rotated another instance of the union
> 180 degrees to show the back side. This test render uses front lighting.

Oh those look fantastic!

I've been trying to simulate translucency using transmit, fade_color and
micro-normals, but so far with little success. I'm sure it's possible, so I'll
keep trying...

The front lighting (which is the easy part, to be honest) is looking OK.
Attached is a render based on your leaf "test pattern".

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'leaves-front-light.jpg' (138 KB)

Preview of image 'leaves-front-light.jpg'
leaves-front-light.jpg